Scottish Success Snatched by a Swiss: Federer Beats Murray in Exciting Wimbledon Final

July 9, 2012 3:10 pm

Federer kisses the trophy as he wins his 7th Wimbledon title

25-year-old Andy Murray was aiming to be the first British man in seventy-six years to win a major singles trophy since Fred Perry way back in 1936. However, facing six-time winner Roger Federer on Centre Court was always going to be a tough feat and the Swiss stepped up to the plate to beat the Scot by four sets, making it the fourth Grand Slam final Murray has lost.

Federer claimed his seventh Wimbledon title, equalling Pete Sampras’ record, as well as becoming the world number one and picking up a tidy £1.15 million. Murray collected the runner’s up prize of £575,000 but the bitter disappointment showed on his face and in his voice as he tried to address the supportive Wimbledon crowd in the immediate aftermath of his defeat.

“Everybody always talks about the pressure of playing at Wimbledon, but it’s not the people watching – they make it incredible” he said graciously after he had congratulated Roger Federer on a well-deserved victory.

Murray, as the crowd favourite, started strong, winning the first set 6-4 and things were looking good for the Scot. As the pace didn’t slow, Murray seemed to tire and the strength and variation of the strokes 30-year-old Federer was producing caused problems for him. Federer’s strength close to the net and Murray’s inability to take his chances made it difficult for him to contend and the 25-year-old lost the second set 5-7.

Murray’s heartbreak was evident on his face as he addressed the crowd just minutes after his defeat

Game three of set three, with Federer leading 40-0, saw the onset of heavy rain and in a flash the Wimbledon rain team had taken down the net and were pulling a tarpaulin over the grass. The continuation of the typically-English heavy rain dictated that the roof needed to be closed and there was a thirty-five minute break while this happened. Upon restart, Federer secured his win and went on to take the third set 6-3.

As the hopes of the British began to dwindle, matters weren’t helped by Murray falling to the turf three times. Blaming his sneakers and with a slightly greasy surface following the earlier rainfall, luck didn’t seem to be on Murray’s side as Federer revelled indoors. Federer sat on break point in the final set, and in amongst some fantastic aces on Murray’s part came the fatal shot landing wide in the tramlines to give the title to Swiss Federer who fell to the ground in celebration.

The crowd ensured that both men were congratulated on their performances, as both had their fabulous moments in the sun. Federer’s speech wished Murray luck in future Grand Slam endeavours, after which a tearful Andy Murray had to leave the court. Federer now sits on a world number one ranking and a seventeenth Grand Slam title.

Final scores on Centre Court: 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4


%d bloggers like this: