Boro Power On After Victory Over 10-Man Addicks

January 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Middlesbrough have kept their six game unbeaten streak intact with a 1-0 win over struggling Charlton who ended the day only out of the drop zone by goal difference. Meanwhile Middlesbrough who started the day at 13th have moved up to 9th and 5 points off the play offs. Karanka after being appointed on the 13th of November has rocketed them up into a position where they can challenge for promotion and he continued his good form today in what turned out to be a narrow victory.
middlesburghAfter a cagey opening the ball broke for Curtis Main on the left but his shot zipped wide of the far post. But soon after that, in the 16th minute, the breakthrough came through Emmanuel Ledesma, who has had a revival of late under Karanka. A 50/50 challenge on the right left the ball in space 25 yards from goal. Ledesma saw his chance and smacked a first time shot into the bottom corner, which deceived Thuram-Ulien by bouncing just in front of him.
Middlesbrough continued to keep possession for the rest of the first half which ended up being a disappointing first half. Both teams came out in the second half with an energy that just wasn’t there in the first 45 minutes. In the first minute a good interchange between George Friend and Mustapha Carayol saw the latter through on the left. He crossed in to Curtis Main’s feet who then played it back to Dean Whitehead, he shot well wide. After this, Charlton began to show more purpose and began to gain more possession and create more chances.
This came to a climax when on the 70th minute mark a cross came in from the right; Shay Given came to meet it but missed as it went over his head. It was flicked back across goal and Given jumped to meet it but as he caught the ball, Simon Church jumped up and headed the ball out of his hand and into the net. Luckily for Boro the goal was disallowed but it was a fair warning. However Boro ignored that warning and complacency began to kick in. Players giving the ball away needlessly and running too far without passing but despite this Charlton were limited to few chances.
And by the 83rd minute things went from bad to worse for Charlton. After a bad tackle on Whitehead, Rhoys Wiggins was given a straight red by referee, Keith Stroud. After that it was basically a finished game and despite a late resurgence from the Addicks and a fantastic save from Given, the game finished 1-0 to Boro.
This game left Charlton’s new owner Roland Dutchatelet, Belgian Businessman, still without a win in his first month on the job. But it is looking good for Boro who, after having a slump at the start of the season, are looking good to fight for promotion under the man, Aitor Karanka, who is now, it seems, Boro’s Special One.

Middlesbrough: Given, Varga, Friend, Whitehead, Ayala, Williams, Ledesma, Leadbitter, Emnes (Jutkiewicz – 58′), Main (Smallwood-79’), Carayol (Kamara-88’)

Charlton Athletic: Thuram-Ulien, Wilson, Wiggins (Dissmised-83’), Cousins (Ajdarevic – 77′ ), Morrison, Wood, Cook (Church – 67′ ), Stephens, Kermorgant, Jackson (Green – 67′ ), Harriott

%d bloggers like this: